POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Isosurface to mesh : Re: Isosurface to mesh Server Time
13 May 2024 16:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface to mesh
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 25 Nov 2016 04:12:17
Message: <58380071@news.povray.org>
On 11/25/2016 3:30 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 11/25/2016 8:15 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> On 11/25/2016 1:43 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>>> Can anyone recommend the scripts on this site?
>>>
>>> http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/approx.htm
>>>
>>> I am currently rendering an image of my LCH color solid isosurface, and
>>> it is at 11% after 2.2 hours. And so far only the easiest parts.
>>>
>>> Do you think I could benefit from converting to a mesh instead? Or is
>>> the benefit only if you want to render the scene multiple times (such as
>>> an animation)?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>>> Mike
>>
>> I tried it and it's a bad choice I think. Edges aren't sufficiently
>> sharp and smooth.
>>

> Did you use the version with subdivision and variable depth?
> And you can always edit it to give sharp edges. In fact I would edit it
> anyway to make some faces flat and the curved face smooth.

Yes, I tried with subdivision and the following values:

	#declare isoSegs = <32,32,32>;
	#declare Depth = 3;

The edges are still too rough. I've attached the result. I'm not good
with modifying meshes by hand, so I will forego doing that. I will
instead wait for the true isosurface to finish rendering.

There's one thing I'm worried about though. The place where the
isosurface meets the cylinder showed holes or gaps last time I rendered
a test image. But hopefully decreasing "accuracy" will clear up the issue.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'cielch_color_solid_cylinder_isosurface_mesh.png' (181 KB)

Preview of image 'cielch_color_solid_cylinder_isosurface_mesh.png'
cielch_color_solid_cylinder_isosurface_mesh.png