POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Reverse engineering pigments and textures : Re: Reverse engineering pigments and textures Server Time
17 May 2024 04:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reverse engineering pigments and textures
From: scott
Date: 28 Jul 2016 04:05:05
Message: <5799bcb1$1@news.povray.org>
>> I was going to say this. I often 'pick' colours from photographs and
>> such but only as a basis for further and very substantial tweaking. An
>> example of one such exercise is the following fairly simple roof tile
>> texture based on colours picked from 'real' tiles photographs:
>
> Indeed.  We've discussed this before, with regards to IIRC, the Victorian room's
> hardwood floor colors.
>
> I'm thinking that there might be a way to automatically create a color map from
> an image file using SDL.   Scan all the color values using eval pigment :)  and
> then do a bit of math to see how the color values cluster.

You need to "undo" the lighting still as clipka mentioned.

Otherwise, even with simple lighting in the image, you will not get what
you expect. Imagine sampling the "bright orange" and "brown" central
squares from the image below:

https://phenomenalqualities.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/rubiks-cube-2.jpg

Both have the same rgb value - yet this is not what you want to use in
your pigments!