POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Randomly timed events : Re: Randomly timed events Server Time
29 Jun 2024 00:11:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Randomly timed events
From: scott
Date: 29 Aug 2013 11:44:32
Message: <521f6c60$1@news.povray.org>
> I think if I consider the pseudorandom numbers as simply a library of selctable
> one-dimensional arrays, it will be less confusing than "Hey, I need a 'random'
> number" - because they're NOT.

I think (I could be wrong) but it's better to think of it as just one
huge one-dimensional circular array (that wraps back to the start once
you get to the end). The different seeds will just get you started at
different points in the array.

> I was also considering defining an object such as an image_map of noise, or a
> cloud, and then just grabbing a pixel value, though I don't know if adding
> layers of convolution get me anything better than declaring the seed value for
> each frame with the clock value...  #declare RanDUMB_Number = seed (clock)

Using "frame_number" rather than "clock" would be better, as AFAIK the
seed function takes the integer part only.