POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Flowing algorithm? : Re: Flowing algorithm? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:15:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flowing algorithm?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 19 Jun 2001 10:40:46
Message: <4vouitkmouq6f2u1ahl5svc1guor27s19e@4ax.com>
On Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:28:08 +0200, "Rune"
<run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote:

>"Peter Popov" wrote:
>> Let's define the height-field as (default orientation):
>>
>> y = F(x,z) for x,z in [0; 1]
>
>Sorry, I should have mentioned that my system is a generic one that is
>supposed to work automatically for all POV-Ray objects. That means that
>basically the only information I have to work from is what I can get from
>the trace function and possible from the object pattern.

In any case you can treat a surface as a height field, unless you want
particles to stick to the surface on overhangs (dripping water).

>> Then we define a force field like this:
>
>I've worked with force fields before and they usually cause me some
>problems. One has to make sire the force of the force field is greater than
>the sum of all the other forces in the simulation. But if the force field is
>too strong is causes the particle to fly up into the air.

The only purpose of this force field is to bring back particles that
have fallen into those cracks you mentioned in another post. It can
serve as a backup algorithm. And it will not be too string, as it is a
gradient which starts at the surface of the object and increases
downwards.

This also addresses your other concerns regarding flickering.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg