POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Graphic design : Graphic design Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:32:36 EDT (-0400)
  Graphic design
From: Invisible
Date: 29 Nov 2011 10:46:31
Message: <4ed4fe57$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so once again I've been looking at this:

http://www.mezzoblue.com/zengarden/alldesigns/

I still don't get how this is actually possible - for two reasons.

First of all, I'm astonished that you can actually perform radical
layout transformations like this just using CSS. It boggles my mind that
this is even theoretically possible. I have literally no idea how it's
possible to do complex graphical work like that and have all the bits
actually line up. I shudder to think how hard it would be to code all
this up.

Second, how in the name of goodness can a human being look at a blank
screen and come up with something as cool as some of these designs? How
is it possible?! How do you just /create/ ideas out of nothingness like
that? I don't understand how it's possible.

It would be nice if I could walk away saying I've found inspiration for
how I can design things to look better in future. But almost all of the
really good designs feature impossible elements.

- Many designs have photographs of cinematic locations, exotic flora and
fauna, historic artefacts or beautiful female models. Normal people
cannot obtain such things.

- Lots of designs have astonishingly elaborate calligraphy. Again, not
something that normal humans can do.

- Some designs feature hand-drawn artwork. Almost nobody can draw as
nicely as this.

- Many of the designs feature texturing and effects which I cannot
imagine any way of ever constructing. How on Earth can you take a
photograph of some grass and then loop it seamlessly? How can you make
tea stains or splintered edges using just computer software? How do you
fake the texture of wet paper? It all seems so impossible...

I suppose we can sum all this up as "I really suck at graphic design". :-(