POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stars of the night sky : Re: Stars of the night sky Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stars of the night sky
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 27 Nov 2011 19:02:26
Message: <4ed2cf92@news.povray.org>
The stars look great, is the glow due to media?

A bit confusing though as I'm more used to a cutoff at
magnitude 4.5 to 5 in the city ;) Higher resolution would
be nice so the pleiades don't clump together so much.

Also I'm not quite sure what you mean by subtracting an
extinction of 6.5, unless magnitude 13 happens to be the
range where your magnitude to rgb mapping turns black.

> I desaturated the colors of the dimmer stars, reflecting (in a
> non-rigorous manner) the insensitivity of our cones to dim light.

The colors of the bright stars are probably still more intense
than what you can see with the naked eye, but its visually more
appealing this way.

> The corrected JPEG of the southern polar region differed from
> the old by 21 bytes -- not enough to see, but still calculable.

Try comparing the lossless png versions by blinking the two images,
even tiny differences should catch your eye then.