POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A bunch of feature requests! : Re: A bunch of feature requests! Server Time
2 May 2024 07:50:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A bunch of feature requests!
From: Alain
Date: 26 Jun 2010 13:48:22
Message: <4c263d66$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2010-06-19 19:29, SharkD a écrit :
> If you search for tasks by SharkD at the bug tracker you'll see a bunch
> of feature request I've made.
>
> http://bugs.povray.org/
>
> Here's a list if you don't want to do the search:
>
> Option to render pixels randomly, or in Nth pixel
Why?
Maybe try with the crand statement in the finish, applied to the whole
scene. Use a large value for the crand.

> Native support for mesh-based surface approximations
Slow!
Why? To create the mesh, you need to evaluate the base object, about as
long as rendering it, maybe even longer than rendering. When you render
the object, you only render the visible part of it. When you convert it
to a mesh, you also need to evaluate all the parts that you don't see.
Then, you need to render the mesh, fast part.
Then, the generated mesh will take a large amount of memory and you may
not beneficiate fron instancing the mesh, whitch, in turn, can force the
use of the swap file and that's SLOWWW!
A box renders very fast and take a small amount of memory. It's mesh
version would take about the same time to render, and take the memory
needed for it's 12 triangles in addition to the material used and the
transform matrix.
A sphere is defined as a center point, a radius and it's material and
maybe a transformation matrix if it's unevenly scaled or rotated. An
acceptable mesh version can easily need over 100 triangles, and any
transpate will need a transform matrix.
Converting an isosurface to a mesh imply scaning it's whole surface,
even the back parts and parts hiden by other objects.

> Subdivision support
Interesting

> String concatenation operator
This one is available in the current betas for some times now.
#declare String=String1+String2;
With 3.6, there is the concat(String1, String2,...)

> I'd like to see some thoughts/comments on these requests.

Alain