POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A bunch of feature requests! : Re: A bunch of feature requests! Server Time
6 May 2024 16:26:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A bunch of feature requests!
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 20 Jun 2010 07:21:59
Message: <4c1df9d7@news.povray.org>
On 20.06.10 12:33, SharkD wrote:
> ...and this conclusion could as well have been reached via discussion on
> bugtracker instead of here _if_ the topic had remained _open_ instead of
> closed.

A feature request should be complete in and by itself. A single line is not
complete.

>>> There was no duplicate request. One request was for metadata inside the
>>> image metatag parameters. The other request was for scene data overlaid
>>> on top of the image.
>>
>> You also need to follow the comments/discussion of the feature requests.
>
> What is that supposed to mean? Is it preferable to discuss multiple
> requests in a single entry? Usually people want a separate report for
> each item.

No, it is not a suggestion to suggest multiple features in one report, but
if a feature request has resulted in the very same discussion already, no
summary or conclusion should be made in a new feature request, but instead
the existing one should be changed. This implies contributing ideas to the
feature request discussion, and then coming up with a single coherent idea,
not leaving it at two half-finish ideas.

>> Well, still Christoph Lipka had to close it because you never said so.
>> The logical assumption here then is that given Grimbert J�r�me (Le
>> Forgeron) provided a solution with existing SDL that the issue was
>> resolved.
>
> Grimbert was not suggesting a solution using SDL, he was suggesting a
> /course of action/ on how the feature should be implemented by devs!

No, the solution was purely SDL based because all the features mentioned
were SDL primitives that already exist. He just did not supply the SDL itself.

> I assume people are going to ask if they don't understand something or
> request further comment. And I presume people are going to state their
> conclusions based on a request _prior_ to closing it so that people can
> solicit further comment. There's a "comment" button next to each task,
> after all, near the "close" button maybe.

If you flood the bug reporter with one-line feature requests, you cannot
expect more than one-line responses. Don't expect people to worm all
information out of you. Reports should be as complete and coherent as
possible. This is the minimum courtesy you have to pay to those reading your
ideas: In short, you want others to do something for you that they have no
obligation to do for you. The best way to reach that goal is showing that
you respect their valuable time. You expected the opposite.

	Thorsten