POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A bunch of feature requests! : Re: A bunch of feature requests! Server Time
6 May 2024 09:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A bunch of feature requests!
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 20 Jun 2010 06:07:45
Message: <4c1de871$1@news.povray.org>
On 20.06.10 11:48, SharkD wrote:
> On 6/20/2010 5:25 AM, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>> The requests were not "bulk-closed". There is an explanation for each
>> and every one of them. Several of the features you requested are outside
>> the scope of POV-Ray as a renderer, such as editing fonts, others were
>> misconceptions about macros, and yet others were requests for already
>> existing features, like being able to pass degrees to atan. And yet
>> another request was a duplicate of an existing feature request.
>
> Sorry, I though more than the 8 of my requests got closed. As for the
> items one by one:
>
> As for font metrics, the request was for getting /and/ setting the values.

Yes, but as was explained there by Christoph Lipka and me, you cannot set
them in POV-Ray because they are part of the font. What you can do though is
use a macro for both getting them and modifying a text object accordingly.
That is pretty much how they are displayed by other programs as well. I.e.
to change the spacing between characters, in POV-Ray you write a macro that
takes a string and then creates text objects for each character (internally
a POV text object is nothing else but a collection of character objects)
with a different spacing.

> The request was for a native "atan" function. Since the function doesn't
> exist, I can't see how it's an "existing feature".

Because you confused functions declared in "math.inc" with built-in
functions. Your feature request simply suffered from a lack of detail and
confusion of functionality built-in functions vs ones declared in math.inc).
There is a native "atan" function. What is - well, was - not there is a
"atand" function returning degrees. That, similar to asind and acosd needs
to be added to "math.inc".

So at a minimum, your feature request should have read "There are already
asind, acosd, atan2d in 'math.inc'. Please add the function 'atand' to
'math.inc' as well." rather than the rather aggressive question with
multiple factual errors "There already exist atan, atan2 and atan2d
functions, why not atand?"

> There was no duplicate request. One request was for metadata inside the
> image metatag parameters. The other request was for scene data overlaid
> on top of the image.

You also need to follow the comments/discussion of the feature requests.

>> Also, please note that you previously made feature requests, but when
>> prompted for what you actually wanted with them, remained silent, such
>> as for feature request #63. It may seem tempting to create one line
>> ideas, but what that really shows is that you have never actually
>> thought about the usefulness of the idea.
>
> That's the only request anyone "prompted" me about as far as I can see.
> Judging by the other replies people seem to have understood the request
> properly.

Well, still Christoph Lipka had to close it because you never said so. The

provided a solution with existing SDL that the issue was resolved.

>> A bit more is required than a single sentence or very short paragraph if
>> you want to start any sort of discussion beyond "I like this" or "I
>> don't like that".
>
> I'm willing to discuss things, but if no one replies other than one-line
> closing message there's not much I can do.

Well, you need to supply more than a one-line feature request then! To get
more than one-line response to a one-line request would require
mind-reading, as people would have to guess what ideas are hiding behind
your request. Usually such speculation leads nowhere, hence it isn't done.

     Thorsten