POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A bunch of feature requests! : Re: A bunch of feature requests! Server Time
26 Apr 2024 22:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A bunch of feature requests!
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 20 Jun 2010 05:25:16
Message: <4c1dde7c@news.povray.org>
On 20.06.10 10:57, SharkD wrote:
>> I suppose I second this list although I am not sure what all requests can
>> do. I certainly would like more library paths or the possibility to use
>> wildcards there, for instance. I put *** by those I particularly like.
>

> there is no way of bringing your opinions to anyone's attention (at
> least "officially").

The requests were not "bulk-closed". There is an explanation for each and
every one of them. Several of the features you requested are outside the
scope of POV-Ray as a renderer, such as editing fonts, others were
misconceptions about macros, and yet others were requests for already
existing features, like being able to pass degrees to atan. And yet another
request was a duplicate of an existing feature request.

Also, please note that you previously made feature requests, but when
prompted for what you actually wanted with them, remained silent, such as
for feature request #63. It may seem tempting to create one line ideas, but
what that really shows is that you have never actually thought about the
usefulness of the idea.

A bit more is required than a single sentence or very short paragraph if you
want to start any sort of discussion beyond "I like this" or "I don't like
that". The point of such discussion is that sometimes it will reveal that
the person who made the suggestion had a misconception about how a feature
works, or that there might even be a trivial existing solution. Your atand
feature request would be such an example where you could have profited from
a discussion before suggesting the feature that already exists by means of
the radians function, and can be extremely quickly added for convenience,
should you really desire it:

#declare atand = function(a) { atan(radians(a)) }

	Thorsten