POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Woo, GPU! : Woo, GPU! Server Time
29 Sep 2024 21:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  Woo, GPU!
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 28 Jan 2009 14:10:57
Message: <4980adc1@news.povray.org>
As per my hypothesis, by ordering using the super-ultra-hyper-mega-saver
delivery option, they just sat on the order for three days before
mailing it to me. Presumably to encourage me to spend money on faster
delivery next time. :-P

So, my new GPU is here... nVidia GeForce GTX 260, with the 896 MB of
GDDR3 RAM and the 192 GPU cores running at 576 MHz and the dual DVI
outputs and the DirectX 10 support and the CUDA and PhysX readiness and
and and...

(Anybody remember back when YOUR ENTIRE COMPUTER had drastically less
than 896 MB of RAM? These days, it seems that the L2 CACHE on your CPU
can be 32 MB or more! Sheesh...)

I haven't opened the box yet, but *damn*... That's one BIG box! o_O

Seriously, I think my laptop will actually fit inside this box.

My first graphics card came in a box slightly bigger than the PCB. (But
then, it was "only" a GeForce 6600. Not even a 6600 Ultra, just a
vanilla 6600.) My second one came in a very slightly larger box (with
the mandatory over-the-top graphics on the box). But then, the card was
slightly bigger too.

*This* thing... comes in a box that's 255 mm by 355 mm by 105 mm - which
seems awfully large just for a PCB and a CD. :-?

And once again, the box shrieks "BUY ME! BUY ME!!" while it's still on
the shelf; it features the letters "GTX" in chrome, with metal sharks
showering down over it, and a little "260" on a plate beneith.

Ooo, check this out... I didn't see this part... I also get a free copy
of FarCry 2! :-D

And "3DMark Vantage Advanced Edition" for free.

Mmm. *Clearly* I must now open the box... ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/