POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Modelling with pov-ray? : Re: Modelling with pov-ray? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:15:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modelling with pov-ray?
From: Tek
Date: 30 Oct 2006 09:49:51
Message: <4546110f$1@news.povray.org>
Well  I believe POVMan can do "proper" shading within pov, though I've never
had a play with it. Basically a ray-tracer is very well suited to shading,
even when using radiosity, because all you're ever doing is calling a shader
with an array of light colours coming from different directions (either from
radiosity or light sources) and asking it to tell you the colour emitted in
a specific view direction (for either a view ray, reflection, refraciton, or
radiosity sample). Of course I've oversimplified a little but it should be
pretty straightforward, just needs the syntax.

BTW, megapov's angle-of-incidence (aoi) pattern lets you fake lots of BRDF
style shading, so you can overlay 2 of those patterns with one based on the
angle to the camera and one based on the angle to the light.

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com