POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : FAQ? height_field on a sphere, or uv_mapping => isosurface : FAQ? height_field on a sphere, or uv_mapping => isosurface Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  FAQ? height_field on a sphere, or uv_mapping => isosurface
From: Bill Hails
Date: 4 Jun 2006 13:59:44
Message: <44831f90@news.povray.org>
Probably this should go to p.newusers, but I can't seem
to find anything in the manual.

I'm doing a simple moon - sphere, uv_mapping, image_map and bump_map:

#declare Luna = sphere {
    0, 1
    texture {
        uv_mapping
        pigment {
            image_map {
                jpeg "albedo.simp750.jpeg"
            }
        }
        normal {
            bump_map {
                jpeg "moonbump4k.jpg"
                bump_size 1.8
            }
        }
        finish {
            ambient VeryDarkBlue
            diffuse 1.0
            specular 0.1
            roughness 0.35
        }
    }
    rotate -90 * y
}

but that just doesn't cut it because at the terminator
the bump map just abruptly stops.

So I want to replace the sphere with either a height_field
(are spherical height fields possible? I can't find any
references) or an isosurface, using the bump map file as data.

I'm sure this question must have been asked a hundered
times before, so please excuse me if I've missed it,
but I can't seem to find anything relevant.

--
Bill Hails
http://billhails.net/