POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : any pointers for a high-quality pearl texture? : Re: any pointers for a high-quality pearl texture? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: any pointers for a high-quality pearl texture?
From: Bill Hails
Date: 7 May 2006 05:08:28
Message: <445db90c@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:

> The spheres are probably to transparent. Try with lower transmit or
> filter. Try using blured reflection. Maybe for the inside sphere(s).
> Try adding some scathering media, use a fairly large density, probably
> >100. Try adding irid to the iner sphere(s). Keep it low (<0.1).
> Use an ior in the interior block, something around 2 and dispersion around
> 1.01 to 1.1.
>
> To help reduce the rendering time, you may increase adc_bailout from the
> default of 1/256.

Thanks for the pointers Alain.
I've switched to a HDRI lighting setup, and the previous texture
looked awful in that light, so this is a second attempt using
internal scattering media and a semi-transparent surface.

http://billhails.net/Pearl-002.png

There's no internal surface now, just the media, and It seems to me
to be even less like a Pearl than my first post. I'm going to try
putting inner semitransparent reflective spheres back in, but keeping
the media.

--
Bill Hails
http://billhails.net/