POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : any pointers for a high-quality pearl texture? : Re: any pointers for a high-quality pearl texture? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:25:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: any pointers for a high-quality pearl texture?
From: Alain
Date: 6 May 2006 19:20:38
Message: <445d2f46$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Hails nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 06/05/2006 06:50:
> Hi.
> I'm trying to model a pearl, well, lots of them eventually.
> I found a nice reference photo on the web.
>
> http://www.loppleman.com/pearls_white.jpg
>
> but so far I'm having difficulty. What I've got so far is,
> to paraphrase: almost, but not quite, completely unlike a pearl.
>
> http://billhails.net/Pearl.png
>
> That's done with lots of nested semitransparent spheres
> and the render time is already feeling painful (around five
> minutes for that pic,) considering I'll be doing lots of them.
>
> I don't want to steal a ready-made texture, I'd rather gain the
> experience and roll my own, but hints would be welcome.
>
> I can post the source for discussion if anyone thinks I should
> pursue my current tack, but I'm thinking of trying something
> completely different.
>
> I'll continue trying anyway.

The spheres are probably to transparent. Try with lower transmit or filter.
Try using blured reflection. Maybe for the inside sphere(s).
Try adding some scathering media, use a fairly large density, probably >100.
Try adding irid to the iner sphere(s). Keep it low (<0.1).
Use an ior in the interior block, something around 2 and dispersion around 1.01 to
1.1.

To help reduce the rendering time, you may increase adc_bailout from the default of
1/256.

--
Alain