POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : any pointers for a high-quality pearl texture? : Re: any pointers for a high-quality pearl texture? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: any pointers for a high-quality pearl texture?
From: Bill Hails
Date: 6 May 2006 16:24:45
Message: <445d060c@news.povray.org>
PM 2Ring wrote:

> [...]
>
> Ok, here's a few ideas off the top of my head.  Try using a scattering
> media, with a reflective layer below it. I think that will eliminate the
> need for most of your spheres. I don't use media much at 566MHz, so you'll
> have to ask the media experts about the fine art of subsurface scattering.
>
> Vary brilliance: try .5-10, but really high values can give interesting
> effects, too. Try using both phong and specular. Phong for the general
> 'glow' of the pearl and specular for the actual highlight spot. Just keep
> the total of phong+specular less than one. Even try using a non-zero
> ambient. It should be ok here, even if you are using radiosity, since
> pearls always seem to have a bit of a glow about them.
>
> I think pearl has a fairly high IOR, but I can't seem to find a value for
> it... I guess it's pretty hard to measure properly with all those layers.
>
> Good luck, Bill!

Thanks for the suggestions. I did try Media after posting, but didn't
think to put a reflective surface behind it. Using phong + specular < 1
is a new one on me, I usually just use specular and roughness.

The other problem I've hit is that when switching to a hdri light probe,
the texture looks *completely* different, probably because the resemblance
to a perl was only coincidental in the first place :-)

Onward and upward.

--
Bill Hails
http://billhails.net/