POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : any pointers for a high-quality pearl texture? : any pointers for a high-quality pearl texture? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:27:46 EDT (-0400)
  any pointers for a high-quality pearl texture?
From: Bill Hails
Date: 6 May 2006 06:50:10
Message: <445c7f62@news.povray.org>
Hi.
I'm trying to model a pearl, well, lots of them eventually.
I found a nice reference photo on the web.

http://www.loppleman.com/pearls_white.jpg

but so far I'm having difficulty. What I've got so far is,
to paraphrase: almost, but not quite, completely unlike a pearl.

http://billhails.net/Pearl.png

That's done with lots of nested semitransparent spheres
and the render time is already feeling painful (around five
minutes for that pic,) considering I'll be doing lots of them.

I don't want to steal a ready-made texture, I'd rather gain the
experience and roll my own, but hints would be welcome.

I can post the source for discussion if anyone thinks I should
pursue my current tack, but I'm thinking of trying something
completely different.

I'll continue trying anyway.

--
Bill Hails