POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : file reading mistake : Re: file reading mistake Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: file reading mistake
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 28 Jan 2006 16:26:22
Message: <43dbe17e@news.povray.org>
> I'd still like to know why the #read statement requires an undeclared
> indentifier in this case. I've seen others use declared identifiers -- I
> think.
>
> I'm working around a problem I don't understand yet.

Though I'm no expert on the source, an educated guess would conclude this:
An application needs to define what type the information is, e.g. a float or
a vector, to allocate the appropriate amount of space. POV-Ray probably does
it by reading the information and finding it's type along the way (or
something like reading it into a buffer, finding the type, casting it and
handing it back to the POV-SDL environment).

If you've set the type before, POV-Ray doesn't have the flexibility to
adjust the type by itself, as clean and proper programming would disallow
such behaviour (who has ever heard of a programming language which recasts
types as it sees fit?!).

Regards,
Tim

--