POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : "user-defined" isosurface : Re: "user-defined" isosurface Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "user-defined" isosurface
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 24 Jan 2006 09:09:45
Message: <43d63529$1@news.povray.org>
Leo80s wrote:
>>There's some info on using arrays in isosurface functions here:
>>
>>http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/arrays.htm
>
> Reading this page my question is:
>
> In your opinion, in which manner I can estimate a "reasonably small number
> of elements" for an array?

Instead of continuing this 'game of cat and mouse' with helpful people
having to guess what you need, maybe you could just say what your _goal_
(what do you want to create???) is rather than asking extremely specific
questions?

Looking at this whole thread, I get the impression you are trying to do
something with isosurfaces that they are simply not suitable for: What you
have to understand is that isosurfaces work best with continuous functions
due to the method used to render them (that is, the function has to be
solved). As such, introducing large amounts of discrete values will require
extreme settings to always get an artifact free rendering of isosurfaces.

Depending on your goal, there might actually be more suitable ways to create
the geometry you desire with POV-Ray. But only if you let people know about
your goal you will ever get broader, and ultimately more helpful suggestions.

	Thorsten Froehlich, POV-Team