POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : "user-defined" isosurface : Re: "user-defined" isosurface Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "user-defined" isosurface
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 23 Jan 2006 09:05:21
Message: <43d4e2a1@news.povray.org>
Leo80s wrote:

> I've writed:
>
>         #declare f = function(X,Y,Z) { rbf(X,Y,Z) }
>
> I' hoped that using a command like this:
>
> isosurface {
>         function { rbf(x,y,z) }
> }
>
> my problem would be solved... but not: I receive a parse error in which
> povray say that x,y,z seem (in the body of calcola_w) to be 3 vectors...

x,y and z are *RESERVED* keyword!
It seems you did not even take the time to read fully the
documentation... Start again.

> So I've downloaded the source code to understand how is constructed the
> function provided by povray like f_torus, f_sphere, etc...

Stay away from the source code!

Read in details the 2.3.3.3.8 part of the windows-help...
function are evaluated at render-time, but #while and other are
evaluated at parse time (once and for all). you cannot have a
polymorphing function with #if/#while in them, you need to do it by
the math!
#local in a function is a no-no!
Your macro rbf is not doing what you might think.

--
Eifersucht ist die Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden
schafft.

Eco: -8.75 Soc: -6.72
http://www.politicalcompass.org/