POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Non ascii characters : Re: Non ascii characters Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:31:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Non ascii characters
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 26 Nov 2005 16:31:24
Message: <4388d42c$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
  > How can it be, given that it doesn't allow access to all unicode
> characters? It by definition can't, since true unicode requires a
> 'section' code, followed by a 'character' code, of *always* two bytes.
> UTF8 treats only specific characters as a 'section' code, so part of the
> unicode set if unavailable. Unless I am completely missing something...

There is no such thing as a "section code" in Unicode. Unicode defines one
continuous set of character codes. UTF8 is an encoding of Unicode, providing
access to all Unicode character codes. You definition is clearly wrong; I
suspect you are confusing Unicode with "code pages" from long forgotten DOS
and early Windos times.

> But I have seen people complain before about how they can't use some
> character with POV-Ray and the reason always given is that UTF8 doesn't
> support them. If I am wrong, then why does this problem crop up all the
> time?

Because* people do not realise that most editors, including those included
with POV-Ray for Windows and POV-Ray for Macintosh do *not* save text files
in UTF8 but ISO-8859-1 and MacRoman respectively.  As such, entering any
character outside the ASCII range and setting "charset" to "utf8" causes
POV-Ray to try to interpret those an UTF8 sequences, which they are not.
This of course yields all kinds of strange errors, with POV-Ray rejecting
characters many times, or replacing them with blanks after issuing a warning
(it depends).

	Thorsten

* This applies to POV-Ray 3.5 and later only.