POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Simulating Ivy Growth? : Simulating Ivy Growth? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:32:19 EDT (-0400)
  Simulating Ivy Growth?
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 3 Nov 2005 19:26:04
Message: <436aaa9c$1@news.povray.org>
For my next short movie, I'm thinking about creating a balcony, on which
plants have been growing unattended for quite some time. What I'd like to do
for this, is to script a simulation tool which might allow me to simply
place a few plants of ivy, and let the script do the rest.

So, in effect, what I need are means to find places where it can grow,
accumulate data to know where it should still be growing to, and some means
to keep it from spreading too far. I've already got a few ideas which should
be useful for various of these tasks, but I thought I'd ask here if anyone
has attempted anything similiar and if anyone knows of any interesting
articles/papers which might be of use. I know, googling for "simulating ivy
growth" turns up a PostScript Document, but I didn't have the time so far to
have a good look at it, and the remaining hits didn't help much: thus, I ask
here. Even if its just something botanical (which I might still understand,
I should add), it could help me program something that'll end up looking
good. :-)

Regards,
Tim

--