POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Photon trickery : Photon trickery Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:28:48 EDT (-0400)
  Photon trickery
From: Tek
Date: 29 Oct 2005 17:07:31
Message: <4363e493$1@news.povray.org>
I've got a scene with a large body of water where I want to use some photons
for a small area in the foreground. My problem is that I can't hide the
transition between the area that has photons and the area that doesnt.

The problem is: the photons get bent by the refraction and the conventional
light obviously doesn't. Which creates a shadow artefact on one side, and a
double-lit area on the other.

Now, I can think of a couple of ways this could be fixed, but they're both
impossible in povray!
Option 1: gradually adjust the refractive index within the photon area, so
that it matches the non-photon area at the sides, use this to save photons
then switch it off in the main render. But as far as I know pov doesn't let
you gradually adjust the refraction. Or does it?
Option 2: Adjust the photon spacing so that we have a lot of densly packed
photons (using a smaller gather radius) in the foreground area but really
low-quality photons in the distance. This will give really nice lighting and
be more accurate than what I've got now.

For the time being, I'll just use photons on a much larger area so the
transition's far enough away to not see it. But I'm using literally 10x as
many photons as I need for the effect I want.

Anyway, I'm just posting this here to see if anyone who knows more about
pov's photons than me can tell me if either of those options are possible,
or if there's any other trick.

Thanks in advance for any help
--
Tek