POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity load/save : Radiosity load/save Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:23:58 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity load/save
From: Orchid XP v2
Date: 15 Oct 2005 12:49:52
Message: <43513330$1@news.povray.org>
You can't load and save a radiosity map at the same time.

When I first read this, it seemed fairly obviously. But now, several
years later, it ocurrs to me - you might actually want to do this. For
example, if I wanted to render an animation with radiosity [oi! stop
laughing at the back there!] it might be nice if each frame could use
the rad data from previous frames, and also if it needs to take any
extra samples itself, add them back to the file...

Is there a technical reason why you can load and save at the same time?
Or is it just that nobody thought it would be a useful thing to do? (I
don't expect this will be changed *any* time soon - everybody is still
trying to get the new beta working right now...)

I suppose if I was feeling really psychotic, I could write a program to
take several radiosity files and merge them together... then I could
render the scene from all the angles that will be used, and merge the
resulting files. Not quite as good, but it's something.

[And of course, all of this assumes the scene isn't going to *change*
during the animation - that would totally alter the rad data!]