POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : RCA file format : Re: RCA file format Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RCA file format
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 10 Oct 2005 12:46:48
Message: <434a9af8$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:
>> Could someone briefly explain to me the format of the file saved in
>> the radiosity save_file directive.
>
> These files contain a text representation of the radiosity data tree
> generated by POV-Ray.  Direction vectors are stored in a special
> compressed form.  For the details you should have a look at the POV-Ray
> source code but for understanding most parts of it you need some deeper
> understanding of the inner workings of the radiosity feature.

Thanks, that satisfied my curiosity, and I think I understand the format
of the file a bit more, now. As I suspected, the compressed information
exists in the hex numbers (normal and direction to source). The 2 values
I didn't understand are distance values.

> Don't expect the format not to change in future versions of POV-Ray.

Understood :) I don't intend on releasing tools to deal with this file,
but manly for my own personal meddling...

--
~Mike

Things! Billions of them!