POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Can I apply the camera transform matrix to objects? : Re: Can I apply the camera transform matrix to objects? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:24:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can I apply the camera transform matrix to objects?
From: Rune
Date: 7 Sep 2005 16:42:49
Message: <431f50c9$1@news.povray.org>
zachrahan wrote:
> However, in the second message in this thread
> (http://news.povray.org/web.431de8479d3b692f52d573c20%40news.povray.org
> ), Tor seemed to suggest that it was indeed possible to get at this
> matrix. This must be some very obscure thing if it is available at
> all.

Well, you *can't* obtain the transform of the camera directly.

However, if you setup your camera via the macros in screen.inc (see 3.6.20.3
screen.inc in the POV-Ray documentation) then you can access the transform,
which will be stored in the variable Camera_Transform. (Camera_Transform is
not documented but you can easily see it if you open screen.inc and look at
it yourself).

You should note though that applying the camera transform to an object will
not make the object 'point at the camera'. Instead it will make the object
move together with the camera. When you move the camera, the object will
follow the movement and stay in the same position on the screen. One use of
this is to place your signature or a logo in the corner of the image.

If you want to make an object stay in the same place in your scene, but
point at the location where the camera is, then you don't want to use the
camera transform at all. Instead you should look at the macros
Reorient_Trans() or Point_At_Trans() from transforms.inc (see 3.6.18
transforms.inc in the POV-Ray documentation). You still need to know the
location of the camera though.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com