POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Raising contrast inside POV-Ray? : Re: Raising contrast inside POV-Ray? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:35:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Raising contrast inside POV-Ray?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 31 Aug 2005 03:05:47
Message: <431556cb$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:

> My main trouble lies within the radiosity itself, though smooth enough, I'd
> like darker shadows, but simply lowering brightness will also turn the
> bright areas darker.

raise light source brightness and adjust material properties accordingly
and you will get higher contrast radiosity results.  A washed-out
appearance is often a result of using unrealistically low lighting levels.

> Anyways, suggestions or techniques (using the current "standard" POV-Ray,
> not some patch-version) are welcome. :-)

:-)

Obviously you can do that with MegaPOV's post processing patch.  For
simple brightness/contrast adjustments you can also use the tone mapping
patch (see macro Brightness_Contrast() in tone_mapping.inc - much faster
than with the post processing feature).

Note it is of course often more convenient to render to a plain, not
adjusted image and do the post processing afterwards.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/