POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Schrodinger Equation : Re: Schrodinger Equation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:38:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Schrodinger Equation
From: Alain
Date: 25 Aug 2005 20:10:00
Message: <430e5dd8$1@news.povray.org>
Walid nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-08-24 06:03:
> "PM 2Ring" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>
>>"Walid" <wha### [at] onlinefr> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm looking for a pov code helping me to create an animation simulating
>>>the schrodinger's wave equation.
>>
>>Is this something like what you want to do?
>>
>>"QuantumWell displays a wave function in either a square well or a harmonic
>>oscillator potential, evolving under a small perturbation that leaves the
>>energy of the system unchanged, but is otherwise random. The contours are
>>for the squared magnitude of the wave, with phase indicated by colour.
>>"
>>
>>http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.au/APPLETS/07/07.html
>>
>>Check out the whole site: it's brilliant!
>

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the link.
>
> While waiting for answers I pursued my research on the web and I fell
> on a site which contains exactly the things I'm looking for:
>
> http://panoramix.ift.uni.wroc.pl/~maq/eng/waves.php
> http://panoramix.ift.uni.wroc.pl/~maq/eng/quantum.php
>
> The programs are written by Maciej Matyka in C++ (not provided). However,
> the executables are provided for download.
>
> Is it possible to implement such simulations in povray?
>
> Thanks again
> Walid

Not obvious, but I think it may be done, or aproximated. A simple wave on aplane is
easy.
Interference of two, or many, waves can also be done. It can get slow. BUT, you need
to get the
equations right first. For the quantum part, it can get very tricky, long to parse,
long to render,
and very memory intensive.
Don't ask me, my maths skils are to rusty, and probably insufisent, when aproching
that kind of stuff ;)

Alain