POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Optical modelling of LEDs....real world problem! : Re: Optical modelling of LEDs....real world problem! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:30:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Optical modelling of LEDs....real world problem!
From: scott
Date: 5 May 2005 04:54:55
Message: <4279df5f@news.povray.org>
rgbphil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Wondering if I could get some pointers to modelling optical
> components, specially LEDs. My 'Real World' problem is designing RGB
> LED clusters and I thought PovRay or MegaPOV could help. Have been
> having a bit of fun over at candlepower forums....try searching for
> posts from rgbphil.

If you are actually wanting something to realistically model light output
for design work, don't use POV.  POV is great for producing pretty pictures,
but it cannot (and isn't designed to) produce accurate scientific results.
There are plenty of other optical modelling programs out there that *are*
designed for this purpose.  If you are designing LED clusters, surely you
have some of this already? ;-)  We have some here (I forget what it's
called, it's got a crappy UI) but we wrote our own because it didn't do
exactly what we wanted.  I doubt our company would release it as freeware!