POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Saturation : Re: Saturation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saturation
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 23 Apr 2005 18:17:51
Message: <426ac98f@news.povray.org>

426a14c0$1@news.povray.org...

> OK. Cos, one of the major problems I constantly have with POV-Ray is the
> image is too dark, or it's too light, or it looks washed out, or part of
> it is too bright but the rest is too dark, or......

This problem is quite common in 3D. In fact even big movie productions can
suffer from it (remember battle in Hulk, where all we could see were grayish
shapes moving around the screen).

I still plan to write something for the wiki
(http://www.wikipov.org/ow.asp?SceneLighting) but haven't got around to do
it. My basic advice would go like this:
- be sure of your gamma settings
- make everything ambient 0. In particular, beware of the default ambient
value in many textures provided with POV-Ray, particularly in textures.inc,
metals.inc, woods.inc stones1.inc and stones2.inc. The non-zero ambient in
these textures is pure legacy, but seems the main reason for having so many
washed out pics.
- remember that real light is not clamped in the <0,1> range, and that
neither is POV-Ray. Have a look at Jaime's lightsys macro and tinker with it
to see the actual values output by the macro. This is often very surprising
(VERY high intensity values, VERY short fade_distance).
- remember that real lights and real colours are rarely pure, like all white
or all red. Search for digital images (or better, make your own) and sample
them.
- use a tool like the Gimp or the color macros in colors.inc to play with
the HSV colorspace (3.7.3.2 in the POV-Ray docs).
- use radiosity, starting with recursion_limit 1 instead of 2 or 3 (as in
the scene template). Increase to 2 and higher only if necessary. Too high
recursion values are the main reason why radiosity scenes are often washed
out in POV-Ray (some people seem to think that the higher the better).
- and above all, learn about lighting schemes, like the classical 3-point
lighting, and experiment with them http://www.3drender.com/light/3point.html

> Let's see if Google can do this... ah, yes. Here we go...
http://www.lionking.org/~lynxcat/nimh/brisnico.jpg

These links will give you a better idea of what matte paintings are in
current moviemaking:
http://www.maxdennison.com/
http://www.dusso.com/

G.