POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Saturation : Re: Saturation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:34:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saturation
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 23 Apr 2005 06:09:57
Message: <426a1ef5@news.povray.org>
> OK. Cos, one of the major problems I constantly have with POV-Ray is the
> image is too dark, or it's too light, or it looks washed out, or part of
> it is too bright but the rest is too dark, or......

What you might want to try is to use more saturated colors to begin with.
The less r and g you have in a blue color, the less it can get washed out
with standard white light sources. Additionally, using values above 1 for
dominant colors on an object can increase the amount of color you'll get for
less light. So even if a scene isn't lit with dominant lights, you'll get
dominant colors.

> So basically what you're saying is the sky is wonderfully saturated
> because it was painted by a human being rather than computed by a
> hellish volumetric sampling algorithm? (Man, wouldn't it be cool to be
> able to paint like that?!!)

Hell yeah, some of the matte paintings in Final Fantasy are so awesome, I
really wonder if it's worth the effort to create incredibly long renders for
a backdrop (not to mention that you can never be sure if everything comes
out alright unless you have done several dozens of long test-renders)... Too
bad POV-Ray doesn't come with a functionality to switch objects into layers.
Not because it needs it like other renderers which won't be able to handle
the entire scene at once (the Maya-Installations at our university come to
mind, where even a simple scene needed to be rendered in two layers, I was
astonished how little the inbuilt-renderer can handle), but because of
compositing and such. You could render the scene without a detailed
backdrop, but a rough one for radiosity, but later replace it with a better
one. Ah well, didn't mean to rant about POV-Ray, it's great as it is and you
can always find round-about ways to achieve what you want. :-)

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>