POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Grid Interpolation? : Re: Grid Interpolation? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:31:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grid Interpolation?
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 18 Apr 2005 16:19:08
Message: <4264163c@news.povray.org>
> I assume you use a rectangular grid for ease of representation. To my
> surprise it is not commonly known (or at least used) that when you
> /pretend/ that in every alternating row the gridpoints are shifted one
> half that you get conceptually a triangular grid. Gridpoints on every
> odd line will be connected to the points to the left on the adhacent
> rows and the even to the ones on the right. You can find out what the
> real neaghbours are with a simple bit mask. If I make myself clear,
> probably not :(

Oh, I understood fine. That's something to keep in mind in case I write
future macros that might need them. As it is now, my MMM and LSSM work on
the rectangle-grid. I've got no excuse for the MMM aside that it was just
easy to visualize and represent the data in an array, but for the LSSM, the
algorithm is deriven from a technique that normally works on textures and is
pixel-based, hence 2d-grid instead of hexagon.

I've got in mind to script a more versatile set of macros for
vertex/normal/UV generation on arbitrary topology (something close to the
usual mesh2-format, with arrays of vertices, normals and uvs, which are
index with a fourth array to build the actual mesh). But that'll have to
wait till I've got some spare time *and* a use for it. :-)

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>