POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Grid Interpolation? : Re: Grid Interpolation? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:30:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grid Interpolation?
From: David Wallace
Date: 17 Apr 2005 22:11:15
Message: <42631743$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:
> Hey, thanks for the link! Not only is the subdivision stuff interesting, but
> the other stuff as well! :-)

My parametric surface generator uses uv-interpolated points.  Basically I
interpolate the parameters and calculate the function at that point:

p(i,j) p(i+1,j)
  i(i+.5,j+.5)
p(i,j+1) p(i+1,j+1)

Now my "quads" are split into 4 triangles each, at the cost of (at most)
doubling the number of points.  I think the effect is called face-centered square.

Mind you I now have to keep track of whether the u and/or v loops are closed or
not.  A far edge of the interpolated grid goes away if its associated loop is open.

David Wallace
TenArbor Consulting
"Just In Time Cash"
www.tenarbor.com