POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Transparency controlled by the angle of the light beam : Re: Transparency controlled by the angle of the light beam Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparency controlled by the angle of the light beam
From: Rune
Date: 31 Mar 2005 09:59:06
Message: <424c103a@news.povray.org>
Henrik Fisch wrote:
> whow, the "Angle of incidence" in MegaPOV is exactly what I need!
> Thank you! :)
>
> What I still not understand is, why the program calculates this angle
> to a value grerater than 0.5 only if there are reflections or
> refractions. It would be useful if this parameter is always available
> in it's full range. But anyway, I think I can come around with this
> if I set the reflection to a very low level.

No, the point is (I think) that only rays that hits the surface from the
inside can generate angles larger than 90 degrees (from the normal) and thus
values above 0.5. This often happen if you have refraction, but it can also
happen in other cases, so I'm not sure why it's phrased in terms of
reflection and refraction in the documentation.

Anyway, I'm not sure why it's important to you that the full range is
available. You can just define your color_map (or pigment_map or whatever)
from 0.0 to 0.5 instead of from 0.0 to 1.0.

Best regards,

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com