POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Retrieving RGB from UV-mapped mesh? : Retrieving RGB from UV-mapped mesh? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:33:17 EDT (-0400)
  Retrieving RGB from UV-mapped mesh?
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 28 Jan 2005 11:07:58
Message: <41fa635e$1@news.povray.org>
If my question were: "How can I get the RGB value at a certain location of
an object?" I'd knew the answer: turn the used pigment-pattern into a
function, enter the desired location, and voila! (Okay, maybe the
technicalities are a little wrong, but that's basically what you do).

But what do you do when you have a UV-mapped mesh? I can get the position on
the mesh, no problem, but how can I properly access the UV-pigment? The mesh
is from outside POV-Ray, otherwise there'd have been possibilities to code
such a functionality into the mesh-generating macro...

If it isn't possible, I guess I *could* come up with a method of rendering
the object in a close-up, focussing on the desired location, and retrieve
the RGB from a function-turned image-map, all automatically done in a
pre-render using POV-Ray. However, this isn't very feasible for thousands of
samples to checked...

Any other ideas?

Regards,
Tim