POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Bounding box test stats : how to interpret ? : Bounding box test stats : how to interpret ? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:34:10 EDT (-0400)
  Bounding box test stats : how to interpret ?
From: Alain
Date: 7 Jan 2005 18:11:22
Message: <41df171a$1@news.povray.org>
The rendering of my not so fancy scene (100K object, a dozen meshes, one
light, one infinite object, no photon, no radiosity, few and small glass
objects,...), I get Bounding box tests = 80% of Light Buffer tests AND a
very low success ratio of 0.07% !!!!

Are these values typical ?
Is it legitimate to say that  automatic bounding is not very efficient in
this case ? 80% of all the tests necessary for the redering are made on the
hierarchy of bounding boxes with a miserable success ratio !
My few tries with manual bounding the CSG (few differences and many unions)
are not very encouraging. Should I insist ?