POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRay and XML : Re: POVRay and XML Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:29:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay and XML
From: Bernd Fuhrmann
Date: 3 Jan 2005 13:53:18
Message: <41d9949e$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Bernd Fuhrmann <Sil### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>
>>Yes, it is. There are a lot of features missing that are used in a lot
>>of modern programming languages. Examples:
>>* Structs/Classes
>>* References, esp. to functions
>>* Namespaces
>>* strict type checking
>

>   Then in your opinion for example Lisp and Prolog are not true
> programming languages?

I hate them, yes. I know there are people who really write programs with
them. They are neccessary for certain problems, like artificial
intelligence (where reusability might not be that critical). But there
aren't many programs as it seems. No complex convential software I know
of has been developed with Lisp or Prolog. I will not use them unless I
absolutely need them.

To give you an example for a real bad programming language:
BASIC (not visual). It just totally sucked. Do I need to explain that?

POVRay SDL is just a bit like BASIC. In fact it seems to take the
features of BASIC and mix them with the syntax of the C preprocessor: No
references, no structs, no namespaces, no custom types and so on. Please
note that I don't mean that as an exact description but rather as an
approximation. POVRay SDL is not exactly like BASIC.

Regards,
Bernd Fuhrmann