POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRay and XML : Re: POVRay and XML Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay and XML
From: Bernd Fuhrmann
Date: 3 Jan 2005 13:20:16
Message: <41d98ce0$1@news.povray.org>
Andrey Skvortsov wrote:
> I have a simple question. Bernd, why do you think it's easier to write
> xml/xslt parser with the suport of advanced features rather than to
> extend current Povray SDL.  i think to write XML parser is more difficult.

You're right and I am wrong. I just overlooked some features that POVRay
is able to do (these # seemed a bit like preprocessing directives and
thus I thought for some time that POVRay is basically nothing more then
a raytracer with a very advanced preprocessor). I see now that it is a
programming language but I still think that it isn't a good one. Some
missing features have been mentioned by "Warp". I don't know if it's all
true or if you can do some things some awkward way. Because of certain
abilities of POVRay that can't be done in XML that good XML won't be a
good solution. At least it might not be fast enough, especcially since
XSLT isn't advanced enough yet.
What should be thought of is this: There are a lot of good programming
languages out there: C/C++, Java, Pascal/Delphi, JavaScript, XML,
Scheme, Prolog, PHP, and so on. Why does POVRay need to have it's very
own programming language that is compatible to none of the existing
ones? The only thing that POVRay needs to do is this (simplified):

* Assemble scene from different sources (include files, macros, geometry
generating code and so on).
* Render scene.

So one has to ask: How can I get all that date in a clean and easy way
from all kinds of different sources to the renderer? What sources might
that be?
* Texture generating programs, texture files (in all kinds of formats)
* Geometry generating programs, 3d files (like 3dsmax, DXF and so on)
* material libraries.

So tell me: What way should be used to assemble all that data and send
it to the POVRay renderer?

> Have you tried Povray?  it's  a very easy script.

I have written some simple scenes. Then I tried to make my own little
object generation function library. Then I tried to generate pictures
with labels (orthogonal camera mode) which did not work the right way.
So I say: POVRay SDL is easy for easy things but hell for certain
advanced things (esp. modularization).

 > May be you could help
> in Pov parser/SDL development? 4th version would appear sooner.

Cool. Where do I have to go to join development team? #4 doesn't seem to
be under development. Or is it? Couldn't find any info, any invitation,
anything.

Regards,
Bernd Fuhrmann