POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRay and XML : Re: POVRay and XML Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay and XML
From: Warp
Date: 3 Jan 2005 09:06:52
Message: <41d9517c@news.povray.org>
Le Forgeron <jgr### [at] freelocalhost> wrote:
> Could you elaborate on the 'need' and 'use' of such additional features.
> (named Namespaces has been illustrated in this thread, but what about the
> others ?)

> I can hardly understand the need of 'named Namespace' feature for a 3D-
> rendering program (put aside the Variable programming of the SDL, which
> allow to perform symbolic computation in the SDL rather than on the user-
> table), but the 'Classes & Inheritance' as well as 'Reference' really
> trigger nothing in my poor head. So please, bring me some lights on these
> subjects.

  Let's put it this way: High-end programming features will allow
experienced programmers to make awesome include files for you to use
(things which are currently impossible to do with the current SDL)
in an easy way.

  For example, imagine you could do this:

#declare Scene = load_3DS_file("theScene.3ds");

(Probably not with this syntax, but I wrote it like that for easier
understanding of what I mean.)

  While you might not understand how the things needed to implement this
function work, that doesn't matter if someone else has already made the
hard work for you and is giving you this simple interface to use this
feature.

  So adding high-end features is not so much about what the average user
needs, but more about what some people might then be able to offer to
the average user, for the benefit of the whole community.