POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRay and XML : Re: POVRay and XML Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay and XML
From: Andrey Skvortsov
Date: 2 Jan 2005 14:54:59
Message: <41d85193@news.povray.org>
> Right. That is why I suggest to put some processing outside of POVRay.
> POVRay is a good raytracer. I'm really impressed by it's fine
> performance. But I think that not all processing of data should be done
> by POVRay. There are e.g. programs that build meshes out of other data.
> A good example might be the creation of humanoids out of a collection of
> sizes. I will never be able to write anything like human{<0,0,0> 30 40
> 10} because I cannot define my own objects. It wouldn't make sense
> anyway if I could because this would lead to total anarchy in the lower
> namespace. But it is still incredible difficult for me to write a parser
> that will just replace all "human {...}" with something that POVRay can
> render like a mesh. That is what I want. I don't want to touch the
> POVRay parser. I just want to get my own preprocessing done. This is
> possible with XSLT (though it sometimes looks ugly, I admit).

I think you are wrong and really underestimate current povray
capabilities!  What you have written (except discussed namespaces)  can
be done without a problem right   now. Not exactly the way you wrote but
similar, there are such things in Povray called objects... RTFM.
You can create your arrays of humans and pass the through the mesh() and
    not too ugly.

Andrey Skvortsov