POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRay and XML : Re: POVRay and XML Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay and XML
From: Bernd Fuhrmann
Date: 1 Jan 2005 09:51:03
Message: <41d6b8d7$1@news.povray.org>
ingo wrote:
> in news:41d51598@news.povray.org Bernd Fuhrmann wrote:
>

>>What do you think about this idea?
>>

> After reading most of the thread, I get the impression that you have a
> "problem" and that your "solution" to that "problem" is XML. I think I
> have a simmilar "problem", 'all one can do with a .pov file is render it
> with POV-Ray'.

Exactly. You got my point. I want to do more with my scenes.

> I.m.o XML itself is not the solution. You gave one reason: "Obviously
> this works only in one direction". Others gave many other reasons.

Depends on what you see as solution. It's might be possible to parse
POVRay SDL with XSLT. But it's slow and a lot of work. As long as there
are no other solutions XML might be the best of many bad ones.

> What we'd need is a POV-Ray parser, and currently the only one available
> is POV-Ray and we can't use that for other purposes. I tried writing one
> in Python, but gave up due to severe lack of skills.

With the right help this is possible. Are you interested in anything
like this? Write me an email.

> Once you have a POV-parser (with a liberal enough licence and with some
> API or bindings or ...) you can do many things with a scene, even
> convert it to some form of XML if you like.

Is (L)GPL ok?

Regards,
Bernd Fuhrmann