POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRay and XML : Re: POVRay and XML Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:31:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay and XML
From: Bernd Fuhrmann
Date: 1 Jan 2005 06:23:36
Message: <41d68838@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> Whatever argument for XML you can give, it applies for any other format.
> The use of XML has been discussed to death before, and there are just no
> arguments for it that do not apply to the current format just as well. As
> such, there is no point to argue for XML.  To the contrary, there are things
> you can do in POV-Ray right now that would be incredibly difficult to
> express in XML.

And POVRay can do namespaces how? If it can do namespaces: Why isn't
there anything written in the documentation? If you have to fake
namespaces: Why isn't there a coding style guide that will advise people
how to make extensions to existing include files and libraries?

If you haven't noticed: I'm just asking if someone is interested in
writing such a system. Noone would be forced to switch to XML. But it
just doesn't make any sense for me to write such a system on my own.
Possibly other persons are interested in such a system and I'm looking
for such persons. If you are not interested, it's ok. I don't want to
change the default SDL. I just want to add one.

Additionaly I state that POVRay will run into big trouble (known as
namespace clobbering) in the future. Big projects will be more difficult
to make due to this.

Regards,
Bernd Fuhrmann