POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRay and XML : Re: POVRay and XML Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:32:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay and XML
From: Warp
Date: 31 Dec 2004 20:58:27
Message: <41d603c3@news.povray.org>
Bernd Fuhrmann <Sil### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> Why not? It isn't that difficult. People write XHTML, MathML and even
> SVG by hand. At least I do. So why not POVRay?

  Because there already is a language which is ten times easier to
write and understand.

> It would be possible to write material libraries, object libraries and
> so on without clobbering the global namespace.

  If this is the problem, why is XML the solution?

  The POV-Ray SDL is a *programming language*, XML is a markup language.
Trying to create a programming language with a markup language is not
the best possible idea.

> It would become possible to access the camera settings to adjust certain
> values. This would make the implementation of HUD systems possible
> (useful if you want to mark or label certain things in your scene).

  And XML is the best solution for this because...?

> One could even convert whole models to meshes and apply mesh
> modificators on them. This is AFAIK not yet possible in POVRay.

  And how on earth does XML make this any easier? Does XML have some
magic which will allow you to tesselate any given surface?

> Ok, maybe some of these things can be done in POVRay file format. But if
> they can be done, how clean can they be done?

  It is aknowledged that the current SDL has reached its practical limits
and that a better language may be necessary, but XML is certainly not
the answer. POV-Ray needs a programming language, not a markup language.