POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRay and XML : Re: POVRay and XML Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:26:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay and XML
From: Bernd Fuhrmann
Date: 31 Dec 2004 07:12:45
Message: <41d5423d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Bernd Fuhrmann <Sil### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>
>>I just thought if it might be possible to use XML to describe a scene.
>>In my opinion, this would have a lot of advantages: Namespaces, ability
>>to transform whole scenes using XSLT and the ability to retrieve data
>>from POVXML-files and use them somewhere else.
>

>   I really don't see those as advantages.
>
>   No-one will write XML scenes by hand, so what's the point?

Why not? It isn't that difficult. People write XHTML, MathML and even
SVG by hand. At least I do. So why not POVRay? There are a lot of
advantages:

It would be possible to write material libraries, object libraries and
so on without clobbering the global namespace.
It would become possible to access the camera settings to adjust certain
values. This would make the implementation of HUD systems possible
(useful if you want to mark or label certain things in your scene).

One could even convert whole models to meshes and apply mesh
modificators on them. This is AFAIK not yet possible in POVRay.

Ok, maybe some of these things can be done in POVRay file format. But if
they can be done, how clean can they be done?

Regards,
Bernd Fuhrmann