POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRay and XML : Re: POVRay and XML Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:25:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay and XML
From: Bernd Fuhrmann
Date: 31 Dec 2004 04:53:09
Message: <41d52185$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> In short: nothing prevents you from doing so (at least theoretically)
> but you should bear in mind the following thing: no one sane who uses
> POV-Ray for serious work will write a scene in XML or use XML to store
> scene data.  If you have trouble imagining why this is the case just
> have a look at Yafray.

I just had a look at it. Yafray seems to support only meshes. This is
certainly not a good approach. This will lead to big XML files. XML as
low level language can't be a good idea since processing speed does
matter. But what about a high level XML representation? There wouldn't
be that bad processing speed impacts.

On the other hand: The POVRay file format is not that open to
extensions. There isn't a reasonable naming scheme which would allow to
use codesnippets from all kinds of people in one single project. So for
real big and long-term projects XML would definately be the markup
language of choice.

Bernd Fuhrmann