POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Glare : Re: Glare Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:29:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glare
From: Alain
Date: 11 Dec 2004 17:30:37
Message: <41bb750d$1@news.povray.org>
Andrew the Orchid nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004-12-11
15:49... :

> I'm talking about glare.
>
> For example, the lights on your Christmas tree. Each light measures
> about 5mm across, and about 15mm long. If you took a lump of wood that
> size and looked at it from across the room, it's barely visible. If
> you render it with POV-Ray, the same thing happens.
>
> And yet, because a light glows, you CAN see if from many meters away,
> even though it's very small. Why?
>
> [And how do I tell POV-Ray about this? ;-) ]
>
> Surely I'm not the first person to wonder...
>
> Andrew.

A small luminous object alway apears larger than it realy is. It's a
byproduct of the way the light censitive cells in your retina are
connected together and to some scattering inside the eye and the retina
itself.
You can add a little media containing sphere around the lights, around 2
to 4 time the size of the "lights". That media could be emissive or
scattering.

Alain