POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Errors in Povray's CSG??? : Re: Errors in Povray's CSG??? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:26:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Errors in Povray's CSG???
From: Ross
Date: 10 Dec 2004 14:44:44
Message: <41b9fcac$1@news.povray.org>
news:cpc146$5e7$1@chho.imagico.de...
> Captain Chemistry wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone give an explanation???
> >
> > I accept that the following may be true:
> > * my computer is jibbed and everyone else's works
> > * I have misunderstood set theory and/or povray CSG
> > * I have understood both set theory and povray CSG correctly but I have
> > misunderstood how to merge the two concepts (pun intended!)
>
> It is probably:
>
> * You did not read the manual which is completely obvious because you
> would not have mistaken union as a CSG operation then.

Hi Christoph,

forgive me for asking what you mean by "you would not have mistaken union as
a CSG operation"? the documentation says "There are four basic types of CSG
operations: union, intersection, difference, and merge." then goes on to
explain Union as a CSG operation in 3.3.6.2.

So i'm confused (easily done, admittedly). Maybe you mean that union isn't
limited to solid geometry, as explained in the sentence, "Therefore any
objects may be combined using union but only solid objects, i.e. objects
that have a well-defined interior can be used in the other kinds of CSG"
(found in the last paragraph of 3.3.6.1).

-ross