POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Superellipsoids not very efficient? : Re: Superellipsoids not very efficient? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Superellipsoids not very efficient?
From: Andrew the Orchid
Date: 9 Nov 2004 15:21:30
Message: <419126ca$1@news.povray.org>
>>Speaking of bounding, I've heard that POV's bounding isn't always as
>>efficient as it could be. Would it be worth my while to manually bound
>>every object in my scene, or would it be too much trouble for minimal gain?
>

>   It depends on the object.
>   Certain objects are difficult to bound automatically, although most of
> them can be done so.
>
>   If I'm not completely mistaken, min_extent() and max_extent() return
> the coordinates of the bounding box of the object. You can use them
> to visualize where the bounding box really is.

Not forgetting the [easier to turn on but somewhat less useful] "show
bounds" option...

Typically, POV seems to make a pretty good job of things. I have a habit
of making polyhedrons out of infinite planes - this is a somewhat
pathelogical case. If you were to (say) take the intersection of two
huge spheres that only just touch (creating a "lense" shape), that might
be slightly sub-optimal. (But not as bad as you might think...)

Andrew.