POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Converted scene (smooth_triangles) and problems with smoothness : Re: Converted scene (smooth_triangles) and problems with smoothness Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:31:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Converted scene (smooth_triangles) and problems with smoothness
From: Hartmut Wagener
Date: 7 Oct 2004 15:45:12
Message: <41659cc8@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:

> The problem is simple. Even though the triangles' normals have their part in
> the lighting calculations, the entire triangle has a distinct angle in which
> it is positioned in regard to the lightsource. And triangles still throw
> straight shadows, so even if they are "smooth-curved" you'll get shadows
> unterneath the triangles. See here:
> http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/TheShadowLineArtifact/index.html
>
> What you'd need to do is raise the resolution of the mesh, and maybe use a
> true area-light (with "true" meaning several point lightsources, not the
> area_light feature of POV-Ray: it only calculates smooth shadows, not smooth
> lighting).
>
> Regards,
> Tim

A fine idea, but thats not the solution. You can put the lightsources
where you like and still get these results.

But i think i have found the reason for this. It seems to be a bad
stl-output out of the cad-program. I can post a zoomed picture tommorow
and show the triangles the cad-program produces in these parts. Awful ... :)
I will try an other stl-output with a newer version and perhaps other
options, but this can take time, i don't have the dongle available today ...

Hartmut