POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Converted scene (smooth_triangles) and problems with smoothness : Converted scene (smooth_triangles) and problems with smoothness Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Converted scene (smooth_triangles) and problems with smoothness
From: Hartmut Wagener
Date: 7 Oct 2004 08:20:22
Message: <41653486$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

i have written a converter to convert from the stl-format to povray. The
first version of this converter is now some years old, the last one is
ready now written in java.

But i have some problems with rendering the scenes. In binary.images you
can see two images, the one showing the result of the rendering, the
other showing the calculated norm-vectors that really look as they
should be for a smooth scene.

When gouraud-shading a 3d-scene there might be a error called
mach-banding, but with phon-shading by interpolating the norm-vectors in
stead of the shading-values this mach-banding should dissapear.

But you can see that some triangles are not calculated smooth. I can
post the stl-file (shortened) and the java-prog for examination, perhaps
it is my fault and i am not able to see it ...

The problems appear in all of my stl2pov-versions, not only in the new
java-version ...

Hartmut Wagener